Â«ALL NIGHT FLIGHTÂ»Â is an immersive nocturnal ambient sound excursion in honor of World Listening Day 2013.Â Â«ALL NIGHT FLIGHTÂ»Â is a wide-ranging sonic odyssey which reflects ecologies of many kinds: environmental (ocean sounds, wildlife, atmospheres), religious (calls to prayer and ritual singing), radiophonic (data transmissions, Morse code, folkloric music), and beyond. The listener experiences â€śnaturalâ€ť sounds juxtaposed with â€śunnaturalâ€ť sounds, robotic speech mixed with human speech, field recordings of electronic amplification carrying human sound across rural environments. Weiskopfâ€™s hope is that the listener will be able to hear the world as he does: an endlessly recombinant sonic field where every noise, song, and sound, regardless of its source, takes its place in a perfect, haunting, and eternal arrangement.
Performances start between 9 and 10 PM PST and run all night, mixed continuously, until 5 or 6 AM. Weiskopf rejects traditional concert settings in favor of remote, rural, desert, or undocumented areas.
This edition, produced exclusively for Radius, is a 73-minute distillation of the inauguralÂ Â«ALL NIGHT FLIGHTÂ»Â performed, created, and mixed live by Myke Dodge Weiskopf in the desert of Joshua Tree, California, on 20 July 2013, 10 PM – 5 AM PST.
- Myke Dodge Weiskopf / Waves of Waves
- 2013-05-21 – Barrington Hills, IL – Mower and Birdsong
- Radio Cairo / 11885Â kHz, 5/22/2005 (xxxxUTC)
- Myke Dodge Weiskopf / BBC
- Myke Dodge Weiskopf / Dark Radio
- Soft Sea of Radioteletype: 6363Â kHz, 11/13/2003 (0635UTC)
- BBC Early NICAM Test, 1980s
- Myke Dodge Weiskopf / Song of Encouragement
- 2013-05-28 – Barrington Hills, IL – Late Night Storm with Airplane
- VNG Australia / 5000Â kHz, x/xx/2001 (1036UTC)
- Myke Dodge Weiskopf / Three Note Oddity (All Night Flight Remix)
- NHK Nagoya Broadcasting JOCB / 2011-03-11 – Nagoya, Japan – Emergency Tsunami Evacuation Warning
- Myke Dodge Weiskopf / Incipit Vita Nova (JP Jones Split Infinitives RMX)
- 2013-03-16 – Hilham, Socotra – Waves over gravel beach
- Fuzz Noise Drone: 8677Â kHz, 5/17/2005 (2355UTC)
- RA-1 Channel One / 1991 – Rockford, IL – Mysterious Telephone Loop
- Myke Dodge Weiskopf / Attack Warning (All Night Flight Remix)
- Stephen Barncard / 2011-07-16 – San Francisco, CA – Foghorns of the Golden Gate
- Radio Ukraine International / The Dream by Valentin Silvestrov: 7440Â kHz, 5/20/2005 (0200UTC)
- 2013-01-26 – Phelan, CA – Distant Trains at Mormon Rocks
- Myke Dodge Weiskopf / Radio Tone Piece (All Night Flight Remix)
- M08: 10715Â kHz, 7/22/2003 (0210UTC)
- Myke Dodge Weiskopf / Interlude 2: Faders
- Radio Stations WWV & WWVH / New Station IDs, 1972 (0358â€“0403 GMT)
- Frequency Intermingling: 6185Â kHz, 11/13/2003 (0345UTC)
- Myke Dodge Weiskopf / AF447
- WFAA-TV, Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX / Station Sign-Off, early to mid-1970s
All pieces recorded, collected, and/or composed by Myke Dodge Weiskopf (1991-2013) except:
- â€śFoghorns of the Golden Gateâ€ť recorded by Stephen Barncard (San Francisco, CA 2011)
- â€śWFAA-TV, Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX / Station Sign-Off, early to mid-1970sâ€ť by Kosan Chim
Myke Dodge WeiskopfÂ is a radio producer and historian, broadcast artist, multi-instrumentalist, sound recordist, and composer based in Los Angeles, CA.ShortWaveMusicÂ is his principal project: a global sound series which aims to preserve the sound of regional and international broadcasting around the world. As an offshoot of the ShortWaveMusic project, he travels the world recording local and indigenous musicians, from Bulgarian singers to Malian drummers and Yemeni muezzins and beyond.
You must be logged in to post a comment.