this edition ofÂ framework:afieldÂ has been produced byÂ marcos fernandesÂ in observation ofÂ world listening day 2013.world listening dayÂ is co-organised my theÂ world listening forumÂ (http://www.worldlisteningproject.org) and theÂ midwest society for acoustic ecologyÂ (http://mwsae.org). in their own words:
World Listening DayÂ has been happening annually on July 18 since 2010, and the fourth annualÂ World Listening DayÂ happens on Thursday, July 18. The purposes ofÂ World Listening DayÂ are:
- to celebrate the practice of listening as it relates to the world around us, environmental awareness, and acoustic ecology;
- to raise awareness about issues related to the World Soundscape Project, World Forum for Acoustic Ecology, World Listening Project, and individual and group efforts to creatively explore phonography;
- and to design and implement educational initiatives which explore these concepts and practices.
July 18 was chosen as the date because it is the birthday of the Canadian composerÂ R. Murray Schafer, who is celebrating his 80th birthday this year.
for more information and to find out how you can participate inÂ world listening day 2013Â please visithttp://www.worldlisteningproject.org/world-listening-day-2013.
and a few words from marcos about this show:
I was recently asked to put together a show on the theme of World Listening Day. What I have assembled are recordings made during WLD events organized by the Tokyo Phonographers Union. The TPU has presented a WLD event every year since its inception in 2010. The opening phonograph is one that I made at Stanley Park in Vancouver, Canada and I used this as the opening piece at the first WLD event held at 20202 Gallery in Tokyo in 2010. (I thought it was appropriate as we were honoring R murray Shaferâ€™s birthday.) The second piece is an excerpt of an improvisation using field recordings by Tomoyoshi Date, Corey Fuller, Nobuhiko Nakayama, Carl Stone and myself at WLD 2010. The third piece is an improvisation, this time by Jez Riley French, Hiroki Sasajima, sawako, Eisuke Yanagisawa and myself, from WLD 2012 held at Ikejiri Institute of Design in Tokyo. The fourth piece is another excerpt from the performance at WLD 2010. The final phonograph was made during a soundwalk led by Keiko Torigoe at Zenpukuji Park in Tokyo as part of WLD 2011. The TPU will celebrate WLD 2013 at Sakura WORKS in Yokohama.
1. 0:00-4:30 â€“ Bird Woman, Stanley Park, Vancouver, Canada
2. 4:30-19:00 â€“ Tokyo Phonographers Union, 20202 Gallery, WLD 2010.
3. 19:00-35:00 â€“ Tokyo Phonographers Union, IID, WLD 2012.
4. 35:00-51:00 â€“ Tokyo Phonographers Union, 20202 Gallery, WLD 2010.
5. 51:00-55:00 â€“ Soundwalk, Zenpukuji Park, WLD 2011.
Tokyo Phonographers Union
You must be logged in to post a comment.